Welcome to North Carolina Operation: Military Kids....
North Carolina 4-H is proud to support the more than 123,622 active duty, reserve and guard troops who call our state home. Particularly during this time of global deployment, these soldiers need to know that their families here at home are surrounded by supportive citizens, offering a cadre of services and resources to help ease the stress of pre-deployment, deployment and post-deployment. Approximately 109,375 military youth from the ages of 0 to 18 (17,220 Guard and Reserve and 85,898 Active Duty) call North Carolina home.
Several programs and partnerships are offered and managed through North Carolina 4-H both on installations/bases and in the geographically dispersed areas from which guard and reserve troops are deployed. Local Extension Centers have information and staff members ready to assist.
Creating awareness and understanding of the issues and stresses faced by military families and youth while building community partnerships to increase capacity for youth and families.
Key elements of our program include:
- Operation: Military Kids Volunteer Training
- Speak Out for Military Kids (SOMK)
- Ready, Set, Go! (RSG!) Trainings
- Mobile Technology Lab (MTL)
- Hero FAMILY Packs
- North Carolina's Operation: Military Kids Visual Arts Contest
NC OMK State Team Members 2013-14 (REVISIONS IN PROGRESS)
NC OMK Upcoming Events:
- Teen ADVANCE...A Leadership Workshop (20-22 March 2015) Friday, 20 March 2015 6:30p.m. thru Sunday, 22 March 2015 12:00p.m. Military Teen Council (13-18 year olds) and Advisors Embassy Suites, Raleigh, NC Registration/Media Form Medical Release Code of Conduct TEENS and ADVISORS MUST COMPLETE REGISTRATION FORM and MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (notarized)
- Star Gazing for Military Families (27-28 March 2015) Friday, 27 March 2015 6:00p.m. until Saturday, 28 March 2015 12:00p.m. Millstone 4-H Camp, Ellerbe, NC Registration/Media Form Medical Release Form Code of Conduct Form YOUTH and PARENTS MUST COMPLETE REGISTRATION FORM and MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (Notarized).
- Military Families @ The Science House (Saturday, 11 April 2015 from 8:45a.m. until 12:00p.m.) Military youth (ages 5-18) and their Parents. Location: The Science House - NCSU's Centennial Campus, Raleigh, NC Registration Form Medical Release Form Code of Conduct YOUTH and PARENTS MUST COMPLETE REGISTRATION FORM and MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (Notarized).
- A Day at the Theatre (18 April 2015 from 12:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) Military youth (ages 6-12) and their Parents. Location: Raleigh Little Theatre, Raleigh, NC Registration Form Medical Release Code of Conduct YOUTH and PARENTS MUST COMPLETE REGISTRATION FORM, and MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (notarized). Hotel rooms with the Holiday Inn Express - NC State. are available. Reserve by 2 April 2015 to receive your special room rate. Use Code "OM1".
- NCCE Military Outreach “Red, White & Blue” 5K (Saturday, 6 June 2015 at 9:00a.m.) Race is open to everyone! Location: NC State’s Centennial Campus. USATF Certified Course and Chipped/Timed Race. MORE INFORMATION COMING SOON!
NC OMK Partner Events
- 11 January: 211th MP PDHRA Yellow Ribbon Event. Location: TBA
- 18 January: B Co. 638th CS BN Pre-Deployment Yellow Ribbon Event. Location: TBA
- 21 February: Raleigh Little Theatre & NC OMK “Much Ado Field Trip to Raleigh Little Theatre” (13-18 year olds and parents). Raleigh, NC
- 10 March: Military Family Summit, Jane S. McKimmon Center, NCSU, Raleigh, NC (Governor’s Working Group Service Members, Veterans and Families)
- *13-15 March: Northeast District 4-H Teen Retreat, Beaufort County. NC OMK workshop and Community Service Project for Military Families
- *11 April: NCSU’s Science House & NC OMK “Science Day for Military Families”, Raleigh, NC
- 18 April: Raleigh Little Theatre & NC OMK “A Day at the Theatre” (5-14 year olds and parents). Raleigh, NC
- *2 May: Air National Guard’s Kids on Guard Day. Charlotte, NC
- 6 June: North Carolina Operation: Military Kids "Red, White & Blue" 5K/1 Mile Walk/Fun Run Family Day. Raleigh, NC
*Events/Activities marked are confirmed. Others remain tentative.
NC OMK STATE TEAM Meeting Schedule
- 21 August 2014 - NC Operation: Military Kids (OMK) State Team Meeting (Face-to-Face) 9:00AM-12:00PM. Location: Dept. of Youth, Families and Community Sciences (Minutes) (Handouts)
- 23 September 2014 - Face-to-Face Meeting 9:00AM - 12:00PM). Location: NOSCH Raleigh (Minutes) (Handouts)
- 16 October 2014 - Conference Call (Time 10:00AM - 11:00AM)
- 13 November 2014 - Conference Call (Time 11:00a.m. - 12:00 p.m.) (Minutes)
- 16 December 2014 - Face-to-Face Meeting (Starbucks Conference Room, Lake Boone Trail, Raleigh, NC; 10:00a.m. to 12:00p.m.
- 15 January 2015 - Face-to-Face Meeting. Location: Cumberland County Cooperative Extension Office, Fayetteville, NC; 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. (Minutes)
- 18 February 2015 - Face-to-Face Meeting. Location: Dept. of Youth, Family, and Community Sciences Office, Raleigh, NC 10:00a.m until 2:00p.m. RSVP to reserve Lunch
- 12 March 2015 - Face-to-Face Meeting. (Location: Guilford County Cooperative Extension Office, Greensboro, NC & Time 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
- 16 April 2015 - Conference Call (Time TBA)
- 14 May 2015 - Face-to-Face Meeting (Location & Time TBA)
- 18 June 2015 - Conference Call (Time TBA)
- 16 July 2015 - Face-to-Face Meeting. (Location: NC National Guard HQ, Raleigh, NC ; 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.)
- 20 August 2015 - Conference Call (Time TBA)
- 17 September 2015 - Face-to-Face Meeting. (Location & Time TBA)
NC OMK Trainings:
- OMK Tech Discovery Training
- Ready, Set, Go! (RSG!)
- Mobile Technology Lab (MTL) Trainings
Speak Out for Military Kids (SOMK) Training Opportunities
- M.T.E.S.T. (Military Teens Engaged in Service through Technology) Registration
- Yellow Ribbon Kit Training
OMK Reporting Forms:
- Monthly Reports are due by 12:00PM (noon) on the 5th of each Month
- REPORTING LINK: http://harvest.cals.ncsu.edu/surveybuilder/form.cfm?testID=24294
Request Assistance for Military Programs & Events:
- Request Assistance for Military Programs & Events Form
- Request forms must be submitted no less than 60 days prior to the event.
Other Military Outreach Projects and Resources:
- NC Operation: Military Kids(OMK) Visual Arts Contest:
- Mobile Technology Lab(MTL):
- Hero FAMILY Packs:
- As of April 2014, we are officially out of Hero Packs. OMK's focus is now on strengthening the family unit and reintegration through distribution of Hero FAMILY Packs - bags filled with items to support family members before, during and after a deployment. We will be happy to work with requests, but we cannot guarantee the request of Hero FAMILY Packs will be fulfilled. Please contact NC OMK Project Coordinator for details.
NC OMK Events, Activities, and Program Suggestions:
- Activity Ideas for OMK Projects
- Events, Activities, and Program Ideas
- Celebration: Memorial, 4th of July, Veteran’s Day Ideas
- Purple Up! For Military Kids – 15 April
- Month of the Military Child (MOMC) Activities
Celebration Months and Dates to Remember:
- April – Month of the Military Child (MOMC)
- Purple Up! For Military Kids – 15 April
- May – Military Appreciation Month
- November – Military Family Month
Training Resources and Materials:
- Deployment: It’s Not a Game – Request Form
- Deployment: It’s Not a Game – Feedback Report Form
- Manuals to Download
NC OMK Gift Form:
Outstanding Support of Military Childern of North Carolina Recognition Program:
- Extension Professional Recognition and Adult Volunteer Recognition Form
- Club or Group Recognition Form
- Award Recipients
NC 4-H Military Clubs:
Military Youth Per County in North Carolina:
As of May 2012, there are a total of 109,375 military youth (0-18 years old) who call North Carolina home. To learn how many military youth reside in your county select the link : All Branches
Partners of Operation Military Kids:
For more information about NC OMK please contact:
Dr. Harriett C. Edwards
J. Scott Enroughty
North Carolina OMK Facebook Page (REVISION UPDATES IN PROGRES)